Transmetal - Johnny's Sports Bar (Lawrenceville) - 4/18

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

zla vydra

Transmetal - Johnny's Sports Bar (Lawrenceville) - 4/18

Post by zla vydra » Sun March 29th, 2020, 9:39 am

Obviously canceled (although just a few days ago), but I thought this was interesting. I was a fan of these guys living in Texas in the early 90s, but I'd lost track of them. Recently checked their social media page and saw that they had scheduled a US tour and that they were coming to Lawrenceville (?). The fact that a band like this would be playing a sports bar in Gwinnett leads to this conclusion: there must be an entirely separate booking network for Mexican/Central/South American bands? Have I been missing out on conciertos de metaleros latinos?

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Re: Transmetal - Johnny's Sports Bar (Lawrenceville) - 4/18

Post by MS_39455 » Sun March 29th, 2020, 12:26 pm

Interesting. I'm not aware of such a booker or network. Maybe Thrashmania or someone has an ear to the ground on this?

I feel like the vast majority of bands coming through from Mexico, Central, and South America (underground shit too) were handled by Deathgasm and later groups like Tight Bros. and now maybe A. Rippin, etc. I do remember seeing flyers occasionally around ITP Buford Highway years ago for shows that often turned out to be bogus. They'd advertise a one off appearance by a band like Brujeria or something like that and of course they'd somehow not be able to make it last minute to play a bombed out storage unit behind Plaza Fiesta with a bunch of terrible backyard bands.
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:Ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sun March 29th, 2020, 1:05 pm

MS_39455 wrote:
Sun March 29th, 2020, 12:26 pm
I do remember seeing flyers occasionally around ITP Buford Highway years ago for shows that often turned out to be bogus. They'd advertise a one off appearance by a band like Brujeria or something like that and of course they'd somehow not be able to make it last minute to play a bombed out storage unit behind Plaza Fiesta with a bunch of terrible backyard bands.
:lol:
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sun March 29th, 2020, 1:13 pm

I see the transmetal show was hosted (and maybe booked?) by "rockeros unidos usa," which seems to be a hispanic promotion group based out of doraville. glancing at their past/future events I don't see anything else worthwhile. they are also apt to posting all kinds of nonsense like the following:

"hey guy. i am satanus. I just came to remind you that the guy responsible for plagues, floods, and pandemics is GOD. I just do orgies and metal bands. thx."
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Sun March 29th, 2020, 4:22 pm

melkor wrote:
Sun March 29th, 2020, 1:13 pm

"hey guy. i am satanus. I just came to remind you that the guy responsible for plagues, floods, and pandemics is GOD. I just do orgies and metal bands. thx."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's sort of the vibe those flyers would have. That's fucking excellent.
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:Ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Sun March 29th, 2020, 4:59 pm

There are shows every so often along these same lines, Mexican/Central/South American bands in the burbs. Leprosy (Mexico) played Norcross a few years back and it actually looks like Mago de Oz played Duluth just two weeks ago. No clue where these shows are promoted and it doesn't seem like there's one central booking source...

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Mon March 30th, 2020, 10:20 am

I was at that Leprosy show; they shouldn't have played it and weren't too happy about it either. I went and chatted with 'em afterwards.

We tried working with Transmetal. Couldn't make it work.

zla vydra

Post by zla vydra » Mon March 30th, 2020, 12:08 pm

Good info. Thanks, guys. Perhaps Transmetal will return after the plague dies down. Wish I'd known about that Leprosy show. Was just jamming Llora Chiapas the other day. What's the story behind booking that show?