AtlantaMetal Staff

Re: bands who had more than one later-uncharacteristic juvenilia record

Post by MS_39455 » Tue December 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm

melkor wrote:
Tue December 22nd, 2020, 1:56 pm
Thrashmania wrote:
Tue December 22nd, 2020, 1:41 pm
Where does Darkthrone sit in all this?
darkthrone at any period defies any kind of characterization so I wasn't even going to try to touch that
Considered them, too. The tracks for what would become Goatlord being recorded shortly after Soulside Journey, but not being released until '96 seemed like a bit of a stretch for the "consecutive" stipulation. Those two really stand out, though. I think even the current rock n roll sound has more in common with their most famous output than anything from the earliest days. Apparently Fenriz never cared about playing so densely or quite as proficient ever again after about '92. His sound on Soulside particularly is some of my
favorite drumming of all time.
zla vydra wrote:
Tue December 22nd, 2020, 12:46 pm
Disagree that the early, death-metal Therion offerings were "completely unrecognized," at least if we're talking about Lepaca Kliffoth. That generated somewhat of a buzz at the time (yeah, I remember).
Guess my thinking was in a hypothetical conversation with anyone at ProgPower type scenario.
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:Ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue December 22nd, 2020, 3:55 pm

MS_39455 wrote:
Tue December 22nd, 2020, 3:22 pm
Guess my thinking was in a hypothetical conversation with anyone at ProgPower type scenario.
I just don't have conversations with those people the one day every two years I go.

Brian
WREKage Staff

Post by Brian » Tue December 22nd, 2020, 5:06 pm

I had the ProgPower/70k fans in mind, too, though I guess that’s been Therion’s audience for the past 20 years or so. Lepeca Kliffoth as the counterexample sorta supports their inclusion here — that’s their fourth album.

To a lesser extent, Behemoth may fit here. Deathspell Omega?

Disagree on Ulver. I’m not really in tune with their electronic/synth/whatever fanbase, but I feel like most Ulver fans are metalheads that only follow Ulver because of those first few albums (not a knock...this is me too).

Most of these examples are band that pretty drastically changed their sound. Manilla Road and Nevermore (I back this one) are the only ones that maintained a consistent sound but just have their early material overlooked for whatever reason. Interesting thread idea.

zla vydra

Post by zla vydra » Wed December 23rd, 2020, 1:53 pm

Hexx - switched gears after 2 albums, much like Laaz Rockit

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Wed December 30th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Tiamat?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Wed December 30th, 2020, 8:14 pm

wasn't earlier tiamat stuff pretty well received?
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Thu December 31st, 2020, 3:00 am

I think so, but I mostly just hear folks talk about Wildhoney whenever they come up.

zla vydra

Post by zla vydra » Thu December 31st, 2020, 7:28 pm

Clouds definitely created a buzz when it was released.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue January 19th, 2021, 9:02 pm

I've got to raise the contrarian flag for Ministry.

In my opinion, A Land of Rape and Honey and The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste are the only records really worth listening to. At that point, they had pretty much explored all of the niches that they would return in their career. As far as I know, there was nothing like Ministry going when the released The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste. Skinny Puppy wasn't nearly as metal, although just as aggressive in some ways.

Or maybe they just hold a special place in my heart because I was at school when I discovered them. Those two records were part of the soundtrack for Friday night parties. And maybe because I saw them in Detroit on the tour for The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste after gobbling some blotter.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Thu January 21st, 2021, 11:56 am

that wasnae the only thing canuckle head gobbled that night.
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Thrashmania

Post by Thrashmania » Tue January 26th, 2021, 12:19 pm

Deep Purple? The bulk of their popularity seems to focus on the first half of the 70s and not so much before or after.

badcarburetor

Post by badcarburetor » Sat January 30th, 2021, 3:47 pm

I've read the first post in this thread and dozen times and, probably because I suuuccckkk at math, I can't figure out the criteria here.

I can think of quite a few 80s hardcore bands that put out raging slabs followed by dodgy hard rock albums that might count, but this is a metal board so I'll avoid challenging anyone to check out later-era Antidote.
Thrashmania wrote:
Tue January 26th, 2021, 12:19 pm
Deep Purple? The bulk of their popularity seems to focus on the first half of the 70s and not so much before or after.
That definitely seems to be where they ended up, but the reunion era Perfect Strangers album got way too much radio play in the mid-80s. That shit was on twice an hour and it was - and is - boring as fuck.

I'll say all day long that gay dance Ministry is way more interesting and just better than what they became well known for around the time of Land of Rape and Honey, but I love 80s new wave/dance as much as any genre.

So many bands in this thread that I've never checked out at all because I feared some chick might start singing opera or some swelling keyboards might enter the fray; the first whiff of prog and a band is torched for me.
"God created the devil? At least he did *something* cool." Homer J. Simpson

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Sun January 31st, 2021, 8:57 pm

badcarburetor wrote:
Sat January 30th, 2021, 3:47 pm
So many bands in this thread that I've never checked out at all because I feared some chick might start singing opera or some swelling keyboards might enter the fray; the first whiff of prog and a band is torched for me.
Hear, hear!!!

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sun January 31st, 2021, 10:38 pm

badcarburetor wrote:
Sat January 30th, 2021, 3:47 pm
I've read the first post in this thread and dozen times and, probably because I suuuccckkk at math, I can't figure out the criteria here.
definitely has nothing to do with my transparent and coherent writing style.

I've honestly never listened to those first few DP rex. I guess I should