The pointless instrument

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Wed September 29th, 2004, 9:00 pm

Since everybody's already pissed off, why not add fuel to the fire?
I have vocalists. I think in every band, amateur or professional, the REAL musicians should split up the money made and pay the vocalist a $50 a week allowance.
Fuck them! They're pointless. No-talent ass pretty (or ugly) pansies who can't contribute. What drags on the creative sweeping force of music...they draw attention from the core substance of the band; namely, the complicated and often beautiful music composed by the real musicians. And I just don't understand bands who allow their vocalist to write all the music.

BoB

Post by BoB » Wed September 29th, 2004, 9:51 pm

Hell yeah. Personally, I'd rather hear more metal without vocals (save your $50/week). Like jazz (which I've felt is very similar to metal as far as genres go), most of the best music has no vocals. :p1st0ls: :m1c:

And what about drummers? fact: you'll never have a good band without a good drummer. :drum: But do they get any credit? Fuck no they don't. They're jammed in the back of the stage behind some talentless rythm guitarists' stacks. Are drummers really unreliable, as the stereotype implies, or are they just fed up with taking shit from pretty boy motherfuckers prancing around the front of the stage?

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Wed September 29th, 2004, 10:19 pm

It's funny you'd make a topic like this, this Friday I was actually planning on playing an hour of just instrumentals on the show. I always saw metal vocalists as just another instrument since half the time the words are unintelligible or just plain silly anyways, though there are a few exceptions.

Looks like I'll have at least two happy listeners this friday...

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Wed September 29th, 2004, 11:56 pm

i'm inspired - next tues i'll play nothing but metal with awesome vocals. while i can see your point, i think i'll find more than enough music to prove you wrong.

i'll be wasted in preparation for the LSU game friday, but i'll do my best to listen. which hour is gonna be instrumentals?
Fuck it, Dude, let's go bowling.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Thu September 30th, 2004, 1:46 pm

Who knows... we never know who is playing when until it happens.

I usually wind up going much later on in the show so everyone who needs to go home early and sleep can do that, but you can always catch the archives.

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Thu September 30th, 2004, 2:58 pm

I give both those ideas two enthusiastic thumbs up!
My sources for metal are, unfortunately, NONEXISTENT, so please enlighten me on some good instrumental metal I should look into.

WuDi, w/o competition

Post by WuDi, w/o competition » Thu September 30th, 2004, 3:03 pm

ProstheticHead: Aim for bands whose singers ACTUALLY PLAY AN INSTRUMENT. Three of the longest standing and best known examples I can think of: Slayer, Morbid Angel, and yes, Metallica.

Thought of a good joke earlier today, mostly in defense, as I didn't know how my topic would be received: What's 1/5 the talent of N'Sync?
A: a vocalist

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Thu September 30th, 2004, 4:45 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-WuDi+ w/o competition,Sep 30 2004, 03:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WuDi &#064; w/o competition,Sep 30 2004, 03:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I give both those ideas two enthusiastic thumbs up!
My sources for metal are, unfortunately, NONEXISTENT, so please enlighten me on some good instrumental metal I should look into. [/quote]
PELICAN!!!

Pelican gets played all the time during the regular rock shift hours on WREK (including by me during my shift). It's kinda doom/stoner metal sounding type stuff but it has a killer groove throughout each song.

Their label, Hydra Head, has a few other instrumental metal (instru-metal as they call it) type bands you should check out if you're interested in vocal-less metal.

<a href='http://www.hydrahead.com/media/index.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.hydrahead.com/media/index.htm</a> There are two Pelican mp3s at the bottom of this page if you want to check them out.

The Greg from WUOG played some flamenco/metal hybrid instrumental stuff from a band called Flametal ( www.flametal.com ) that was really cool, I'll probably play some of that this week too. Most of the stuff I'll be playing are instrumentals from regular albums though, like tracks from In Flames and The Crown.

BoB

Post by BoB » Thu September 30th, 2004, 5:02 pm

Pelican is pretty cool and there's another band I like better called Hematavore - a very cool band from Auburn that was kinda like KingCrimson but more metal and no vocals. Actually, the newer King Crimson has a lot of really cool instrumentals.

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Thu September 30th, 2004, 5:10 pm

Canvas Solaris - Sublimation is some good intrumental metal
Dream Theater have some excellent instrumentals
Apocalyptica cover metal with cellos and minus vocals if they could fit in

also not all the Flametal is instrumental - but a lot of folks have said they liked them.

as for vocalists that play an instrument too, i'll do my best but there are some vocalists i'm going to play regardless because they're awesome.

Fn Dan

Post by Fn Dan » Thu September 30th, 2004, 11:25 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bobnoxious+Sep 29 2004, 10:51 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobnoxious @ Sep 29 2004, 10:51 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> And what about drummers? fact: you'll never have a good band without a good drummer. :drum: But do they get any credit? Fuck no they don't. They're jammed in the back of the stage behind some talentless rythm guitarists' stacks. Are drummers really unreliable, as the stereotype implies, or are they just fed up with taking shit from pretty boy motherfuckers prancing around the front of the stage? [/quote]
Let's see, why don't drummers get more credit...maybe it's because the band all resents them for being such fat fucks that cost them piles of cash in wheelbarrows full of Big Macs. No wonder Devin Townsend is so depressed. :wh4cky: And about pretty boy frontmen, don't ever play a gig with Edguy. You'll shove a drumstick through your ear before the first song is over. :m3t4l:

I think a good drummer is just as important, maybe even more, than the guitarwork in metal. All of my favorites, Devin Townsend/SYL, Opeth, Soilwork, Amon Amarth, Death, etc. have INCREDIBLE drummers. That's why drummers are worth their weight in gold...and why Gene Hoglan is one valuable motherfucker. :m3t4l:

ProstheticHead12

Post by ProstheticHead12 » Fri October 1st, 2004, 1:00 pm

also my friend has some instumental metal he recorded

<a href='http://skyfire.terranbot.com/stygianapothegm/music.html' target='_blank'>http://skyfire.terranbot.com/stygianapo ... ic.html</a>

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Fri October 1st, 2004, 2:29 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-bobnoxious+Sep 30 2004, 05:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bobnoxious @ Sep 30 2004, 05:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Pelican is pretty cool and there's another band I like better called Hematavore - a very cool band from Auburn that was kinda like KingCrimson but more metal and no vocals. Actually, the newer King Crimson has a lot of really cool instrumentals. [/quote]
I tried getting Hematovore to come do some shows here in 2003. I had them in mind for Utter Destruction too.

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Fri October 1st, 2004, 3:43 pm

Ok, so here's what I have planned to play so far tonight/tomorrow. I don't know if I'll have time to play all of it but I'll to get most of them. I'm also gonna go through some of the LP's and see if there are any good instrumentals on the older stuff. If you have any other instrumental suggestions let me know and I'll work them in here:

Tool - Triad (track 12 off Lateralus)
Dream Theater - Stream of Consciousness (track 6 off Train Of Thought)
In Flames - Dialogue With The Stars (track 4 off Whoracle)
The Haunted - Demon Eyes (track 6 off One Kill Wonder)
Faith No More - Woodpecker From Mars (track 9 off The Real Thing)
The Crown - Dream Bloody Hell (track 5 off Possessed 13)
Vehemence - Alone In Your Presence (track 6 off Helping The World To See)
Lamb of God - Ashes Of The Wake (track 10 off Ashes Of The Wake)
Dark Tranquillity - Ex Nihilo (track 12 off Damage Done)
Pelican - Drought (track 2 off Australasia)
Behold... The Arctopus - some ridiculously long name that I will have to look up when I get to the studio (track 2)

That's it so far, let me know if there's any stuff I should add.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Fri October 1st, 2004, 4:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Greg+Oct 1 2004, 03:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Greg @ Oct 1 2004, 03:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> That's it so far, let me know if there's any stuff I should add. [/quote]
Any of these:

Cynic - Textures
Gorguts - Waste of Mortality [Considered Dead]
Testament - Musical Death (A Dirge) [The New Order]
Pain of Salvation - Dryad of The Woods [Remedy Lane]