Cassette woes

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Metalfreak, MS_39455, Brian, AtlantaMetal Staff

User avatar
Knucklehead
Member
Posts: 3486
Joined: Sat August 26th, 2006, 5:06 pm
Location: Decatur

Post by Knucklehead » Fri July 24th, 2015, 9:13 am

Have no fear, you'll be able to play this.

This is a tape released in the European market and not released in the U.S. Hence "European".

It was also professionally manufactured, meaning either that the guy was using a "pro cassette deck" or he paid someone to do it. (As opposed to using the microphone on a tape recorder while the music is played on a stereo.) It is essentially a term describing the quality. Hence, "pro tape".
Diana wrote:Last night I had a blinding headache, so I skipped the gym and went home to drink Bulleit and watch this doc.

Diana
Member
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri August 28th, 2009, 12:48 pm
Location: Snellville

Post by Diana » Fri July 24th, 2015, 9:49 am

Knucklehead wrote:Have no fear, you'll be able to play this.
Thank you, counselor. Googling this did nothing for me because "European Pro Tape" is apparently a product for athletes.

In the meantime I went ahead and spent €6000 preordering the digipack and t-shirt combo, so I'm gonna let the cassette go for now. But I am grateful for the info.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff
Posts: 1063
Joined: Fri April 15th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Location: the bog of eternal stench
Contact:

Post by melkor » Fri July 24th, 2015, 3:15 pm

You can click the numbers to show other pictures

Image
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Diana
Member
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri August 28th, 2009, 12:48 pm
Location: Snellville

Post by Diana » Sat July 25th, 2015, 5:31 am

melkor wrote:You can click the numbers to show other pictures

Image
Exactly. That one looks completely normal. I don't know why that first shot looks like a square. I didn't want to plunk down the $50 shipping if I had to grease it with vaseline and hammer it into my Hello Kitty cassette player :(

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff
Posts: 1063
Joined: Fri April 15th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Location: the bog of eternal stench
Contact:

Post by melkor » Fri April 1st, 2016, 1:14 pm

Well I've been having the same problem with my old cheap JVC twin deck at home... deck A sounded all shitty but deck B sounds great. Tried cleaning deck A but it didn't really help. Well, fine, I still have ONE deck; I'll just use B. The only problem is that deck B makes this strange mechanical clicking sound. Well, my smart ass decides to try and fix the clicking. It turns out that this cam follower had a spring that was a bit loose which was causing it to overextend and then snap back. I fashioned a rubber band around it which solved the clicking... but in the process somehow I nerfed the reverse mechanism. Well shit, now I have ZERO decks. Really not wanting to open the thing up again and deal with reattaching shitty belts on shitty wheels, I decided to make it my life's sole goal and purpose to clean deck A until it sounds perfect.

It turns out that you have to clean these things a really (really!) long time. I spent a good 20 minutes with about two dozen q-tips and denatured alcohol (kept in my bar's jigger... remind me not to blind myself later) rubbing down (:oops:) the head, capstan, and pinch roller. Even when there was no more deposit coming out on the q-tip, I kept rubbing. I rubbed until I was all out of rub. ONLY then did I stick the ol' trusty "Fit fer Fight" in and let 'er rip. What glorious crunchy treble and pounding bass! Moral of the story: if you ain't persistent, yer just pissing in the wind.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

User avatar
Moloc
Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun August 8th, 2010, 2:19 pm
Location: In a van down by the river.
Contact:

Re: Cassette woes

Post by Moloc » Sun July 29th, 2018, 6:18 pm

Bought a Danzig tape today for six dollars. Can't play it because my machine is in the shop (going on two months now).

User avatar
MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff
Posts: 1994
Joined: Tue May 3rd, 2005, 2:51 pm
Location: Midtown

Re: Cassette woes

Post by MS_39455 » Mon July 30th, 2018, 8:19 am

Moloc wrote:
Sun July 29th, 2018, 6:18 pm
Bought a Danzig tape today for six dollars. Can't play it because my machine is in the shop (going on two months now).
What shop did you take to? Didn't realize that there are still places that will work on cassette players? Just slammed dunked a Technics deck that I picked up a few years ago right back into the dumpster after almost as many years of tinkering and unsuccessfully trying to find parts to revive it.
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:Ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff
Posts: 1063
Joined: Fri April 15th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Location: the bog of eternal stench
Contact:

Re: Cassette woes

Post by melkor » Mon July 30th, 2018, 9:45 am

i dunno about any shops but my nak lx-5 is still ox strong.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

User avatar
Moloc
Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun August 8th, 2010, 2:19 pm
Location: In a van down by the river.
Contact:

Re: Cassette woes

Post by Moloc » Mon July 30th, 2018, 12:56 pm

MS_39455 wrote:
Mon July 30th, 2018, 8:19 am
Moloc wrote:
Sun July 29th, 2018, 6:18 pm
Bought a Danzig tape today for six dollars. Can't play it because my machine is in the shop (going on two months now).
What shop did you take to? Didn't realize that there are still places that will work on cassette players? Just slammed dunked a Technics deck that I picked up a few years ago right back into the dumpster after almost as many years of tinkering and unsuccessfully trying to find parts to revive it.
A place called Audiolab. It's at the top of the perimeter. I can't say I can recommend them yet since they still haven't finished working on it.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff
Posts: 1063
Joined: Fri April 15th, 2011, 1:09 pm
Location: the bog of eternal stench
Contact:

Re: Cassette woes

Post by melkor » Mon July 30th, 2018, 1:53 pm

Moloc wrote:
Mon July 30th, 2018, 12:56 pm
MS_39455 wrote:
Mon July 30th, 2018, 8:19 am
Moloc wrote:
Sun July 29th, 2018, 6:18 pm
Bought a Danzig tape today for six dollars. Can't play it because my machine is in the shop (going on two months now).
What shop did you take to? Didn't realize that there are still places that will work on cassette players? Just slammed dunked a Technics deck that I picked up a few years ago right back into the dumpster after almost as many years of tinkering and unsuccessfully trying to find parts to revive it.
A place called Audiolab. It's at the top of the perimeter. I can't say I can recommend them yet since they still haven't finished working on it.
the one in doraville?

actually I do remember inquiring somebody in roswell about tuning up my nak. i never followed through, though. http://aminaaudio.com/service.html. i’ve heard reputable things.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

User avatar
Moloc
Member
Posts: 1338
Joined: Sun August 8th, 2010, 2:19 pm
Location: In a van down by the river.
Contact:

Re: Cassette woes

Post by Moloc » Mon July 30th, 2018, 3:43 pm

melkor wrote:
Mon July 30th, 2018, 1:53 pm
Moloc wrote:
Mon July 30th, 2018, 12:56 pm
MS_39455 wrote:
Mon July 30th, 2018, 8:19 am

What shop did you take to? Didn't realize that there are still places that will work on cassette players? Just slammed dunked a Technics deck that I picked up a few years ago right back into the dumpster after almost as many years of tinkering and unsuccessfully trying to find parts to revive it.
A place called Audiolab. It's at the top of the perimeter. I can't say I can recommend them yet since they still haven't finished working on it.
the one in doraville?

actually I do remember inquiring somebody in roswell about tuning up my nak. i never followed through, though. http://aminaaudio.com/service.html. i’ve heard reputable things.
Doraville, yes. I just talked to them. It should be finished by the end of the week, they said. It's going to cost a couple hundred dollars in the end to fix my Nakamichi bx-300, which isn't too bad considering that I got it for free.

zla vydra
Member
Posts: 227
Joined: Fri June 1st, 2012, 8:06 am
Location: Alpharetta

Re: Cassette woes

Post by zla vydra » Mon August 6th, 2018, 12:05 pm

I just dumped a bunch of cassettes at Criminal Records yesterday. Head over there if you've been wondering where you can get a cassette copy of Helloween's Judas or a whole bunch of other 80s/early 90s stuff.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests