Slayer - 8/10

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

Knucklehead

Re: Slayer - 8/10

Post by Knucklehead » Sat August 11th, 2018, 10:40 am

That was the guy next to us in the lot last night.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Sat August 11th, 2018, 11:42 am

And his 10,000 clones were on the lawn.

edit: Also, those who saw any others bands... how was it? Hated missing Testament.
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:Ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

zekeyou

Post by zekeyou » Sun August 12th, 2018, 10:01 am

Probably my favorite Slayer set-- was on the fence about attending but glad I went. I also figure this will probably be the last time for me seeing any of these bands.

Napalm Death in that cavern at 5pm is just weird.

Was nice to see Dog-Faced Gods in the Testament set-- may have to see them one more time in a club in my life-- who knows...

Anthrax was Anthrax-- seeing them again made me realize I've never heard For All Kings and have no clue who their other guitarist is.

Also, despite little to no signage, the Uber/Lyft pick up lot is Lot F on the Lakewood side-- on the Lakewood Raceway.

Most drivers must not know this and apparently it isn't marked for them-- I had one driver totally give up and the next I had to talk in giving directions and I'm from fucking South Carolina :lol: .

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Sun August 12th, 2018, 10:29 am

oh man, the tabernacle set in 2014 was a thousand times better
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

zekeyou

Post by zekeyou » Sun August 12th, 2018, 12:54 pm

melkor wrote:
Sun August 12th, 2018, 10:29 am
oh man, the tabernacle set in 2014 was a thousand times better
Yeah, I saw that tour at the much smaller Fillmore in Charlotte— it was great— and I have never seen a bad Slayer show— they just seemed (to me) to be as “on it” as I have ever seen.

zla vydra

Post by zla vydra » Sun August 12th, 2018, 6:28 pm

I enjoyed Slayer, but to be honest I was so exhausted by the end of their set that I couldn't wait to get out of there (I'm old...). To me, Testament was the highlight - I don't think they could have been much better given their allotted time.

Napalm Death at 5:00 in an amphitheater just doesn't work, but the concession lines were short.

Anthrax...pisses me off. These guys have been around for 35 years, have recorded scores of original songs, including some really good ones in the very recent past. And what do they do when they have a 45-minute set time? Well, they play 6 or 7 tracks, two of those being boring as fuck covers, they waste 3-5 minutes on a recording of "Number of the Beast," they play a Pantera riff for another minute... Thanks, Scott Ian.

Lamb of God I hadn't seen since they opened for Metallica at Philips Arena, and they didn't make much of an impression one way or the other this time.

15th time seeing Slayer, and their individual performances and energy are still remarkable. Might as well go out on a high note.

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Tue August 14th, 2018, 11:21 am

This was my 7th time seeing Slayer: three times at Lakewood, three times at the Tabernacle, and then once in Detroit in 1990 at a place the size of the Masquerade. Maybe.

We only caught Slayer's set. We were at Highlander early on and then heavy metal parking lot while Anthrax and LOG were playing. I've seen all of those bands before and the only one I half-heartedly wanted to see was Testament. But I hope that they'll have a headlining tour and will play a club here in the city at some point.

This was only the 2nd time that I've seen Slayer this decade -- the issues with Lombardo and then the death of Hannemann left me in the boycott camp. I don't regret going at all, but I do wish that they would have played more from the early records. About half the set had me pumping fists like a maniac and the other half had me nodding my head, arms crossed.

I'm guessing that they'll still play festivals and I'm hoping at some point that I can my son to one. He was just a little too young this time around. We'll see whether they release any more records.

And what the fuck was with $15 beers?! Thank for drinking in the parking lot.

MS_39455
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by MS_39455 » Tue August 14th, 2018, 11:54 am

Knucklehead wrote:
Tue August 14th, 2018, 11:21 am
And what the fuck was with $15 beers?! Thank for drinking in the parking lot.
Jesus. This was the first time I've ever been to Lakewood where I didn't buy any beer inside. I think it was $12 last time. Bless you Moloc and Knuck.
The Central Scrutinizer wrote:Ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?