So, I saw a whole lot of bands this weekend...

post your opinions about shows. A full event calendar is available.

Moderators: Brian, Metalfreak, MS_39455, AtlantaMetal Staff

AmoebicDysentery

So, I saw a whole lot of bands this weekend...

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Mon September 19th, 2005, 12:36 am

Between Friday and Sunday this weekend I probably saw close to 30 bands, the majority of them local to the area.

I'd say probably 85% of these bands had absolutley no stage presence!

Now, I'm not saying that every band has to be like GWAR or something, but damn, can we have a little excitement? I'm sick of seeing bands where the vocalist just stands on the center of the stage looking at his feet. I'm sick of seeing vocalists stand there playing air guitar...you look like a fucking tool, especially since it shows that you do vocals because you're obviously a shitty guitarist! I'm sick of seeing guitarists and and bassists look like their feet were glued to one part of the stage.
Vocalists should be fierce and full of energy and confidence! Guitarists should also have confidence, and make playing their own songs look easy. Your badass new breakdown isn't going to come across as so badasss with your vocalist playing air guitar and your bassist staring at his fretboard tapping his foot.

Here we are now! Entertain us! (bwahahahahaah that was gay)

I've also heard that "DUH-DUH DUH...DUH-DUH DUH" type breakdown about 204020420408675,309.08 times this weekend. CAN WE PLEASE PLAY ANOTHER FUCKING RIFF OR ADD A NEW CHORD IN THERE?

Yes, I realize I've probably done all of these myself.

But in other news, not one single band urged the crowd to jump.
[/rant]

holly
WREKage Staff

Re: So, I saw a whole lot of bands this weekend...

Post by holly » Mon September 19th, 2005, 2:27 am

AmoebicDysentery wrote:But in other news, not one single band urged the crowd to jump.
I can't imagine what this rant would have looked like if they had...
:lol:

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Mon September 19th, 2005, 3:29 am

holly wrote:
AmoebicDysentery wrote:But in other news, not one single band urged the crowd to jump.
hahahaha

Ironically (and oddly), one of the bands at ProgPower urged their crowd to jump. And jump they did. (!)

Greg
WREKage Staff

Post by Greg » Mon September 19th, 2005, 7:47 am

The only time it's acceptable to yell for anyone to jump is when they're standing on a ledge about 30 stories up.

ratanda
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by ratanda » Mon September 19th, 2005, 9:13 am

WREKage-Paul wrote:
holly wrote:
hahahaha

Ironically (and oddly), one of the bands at ProgPower urged their crowd to jump. And jump they did. (!)
It was 2 wasn't it? Manticora and Orphaned Land.

Ecrypt

Post by Ecrypt » Tue September 20th, 2005, 12:20 am

hey Will, who were, in your opinion, the best bands, local and or national that you saw this weekend?

WREKage-Paul
WREKage Staff

Post by WREKage-Paul » Fri September 23rd, 2005, 4:18 am

Shit, I was thinking it was Orphaned Land. Manticora did? That's funny!

I got a pic of Eden, Orphaned Land's keyboardist, momentarily airborne. \m/ (I thought they'd be my favorite show of the fest, but Therion did indeed slay me.)

mrjumping
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by mrjumping » Sat September 24th, 2005, 11:40 am

Will, I've never told you before, but I love you

Pat

Post by Pat » Sat September 24th, 2005, 12:02 pm

Is Anal Secretion in the 15% of the bands that had stage presence?

diablomozart

Post by diablomozart » Sat September 24th, 2005, 12:40 pm

i have noticed the same thing...to be honest, when i play a gig with my band Devane...by the time our 40 minutes is up i can barely walk off stage and look like i have just stepped out of a shower...and the smell?...well it's nothing to write home about...lol...but we are up there to entertain...both visually and sonically...we follow a simple rule..."be an artist in the sytudio, be an entertainer on stage"...people can only listen to a cd but when they come to see a show...they bring their eyes as well as their ears...d.m.

andyb

Post by andyb » Sat September 24th, 2005, 1:58 pm

a lot of bands dont realize that thrashing around on stage very rarely comes naturally. it actually something i had to practice. im still not great at it. but like diablo said, when i get off stage, i can barely move. to any band that practices sitting on chairs and never takes their eyes off their fret board, you need to get the fuck up, move around. its the only way to get used to doing it on stage, otherwise everyone in the crowd is stuck watching you at practice, rather than watching a good show.
hope you all fucking rot

AmoebicDysentery

Post by AmoebicDysentery » Sat September 24th, 2005, 4:20 pm

I'm sorry Eyal, I'm not that kinda boy...but thanks anyways.

Anal Secretion was mega entertaining. I couldn't stop laughing (or staring at your sexy ass for that matter).

Other than that over the weekend I enjoyed Neuraxis, Necromonica,(Yayyy!), Obituary when they played old songs, Napalm Death (barney greenway prancing around is awesome)

Right now I can't even remember who played Chaosfest.

diablomozart

Post by diablomozart » Sat September 24th, 2005, 4:50 pm

yep...practice looks real strange at the devane rehearsal space too...but when it's all said and done...it looks pretty cool onstage...lol...d.m.

Asrynth

Post by Asrynth » Sat September 24th, 2005, 5:13 pm

AmoebicDysentery wrote: Anal Secretion was mega entertaining. I couldn't stop laughing (or staring at your sexy ass for that matter).
quote]

Anal Secretion is a damn sexy band, And the way they shred and sweep all those arpeggios makes it 100x better.

BlazeTSU
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by BlazeTSU » Sat September 24th, 2005, 8:31 pm

andyb wrote:a lot of bands dont realize that thrashing around on stage very rarely comes naturally. it actually something i had to practice. im still not great at it. but like diablo said, when i get off stage, i can barely move. to any band that practices sitting on chairs and never takes their eyes off their fret board, you need to get the fuck up, move around. its the only way to get used to doing it on stage, otherwise everyone in the crowd is stuck watching you at practice, rather than watching a good show.
i've gotten in big arguments at practice when people just sat down. i'm not all for going crazy during practice, but at least standup and look around a little......move your head a little bit, stomp a foot or something.