Cassette woes

open forum for any and all conversations

Moderators: Metalfreak, MS_39455, Brian, AtlantaMetal Staff

Knucklehead

Post by Knucklehead » Fri July 24th, 2015, 9:13 am

Have no fear, you'll be able to play this.

This is a tape released in the European market and not released in the U.S. Hence "European".

It was also professionally manufactured, meaning either that the guy was using a "pro cassette deck" or he paid someone to do it. (As opposed to using the microphone on a tape recorder while the music is played on a stereo.) It is essentially a term describing the quality. Hence, "pro tape".
Diana wrote:Last night I had a blinding headache, so I skipped the gym and went home to drink Bulleit and watch this doc.

Diana

Post by Diana » Fri July 24th, 2015, 9:49 am

Knucklehead wrote:Have no fear, you'll be able to play this.
Thank you, counselor. Googling this did nothing for me because "European Pro Tape" is apparently a product for athletes.

In the meantime I went ahead and spent €6000 preordering the digipack and t-shirt combo, so I'm gonna let the cassette go for now. But I am grateful for the info.

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Fri July 24th, 2015, 3:15 pm

You can click the numbers to show other pictures

seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -

Diana

Post by Diana » Sat July 25th, 2015, 5:31 am

melkor wrote:You can click the numbers to show other pictures

Exactly. That one looks completely normal. I don't know why that first shot looks like a square. I didn't want to plunk down the $50 shipping if I had to grease it with vaseline and hammer it into my Hello Kitty cassette player :(

melkor
AtlantaMetal Staff

Post by melkor » Fri April 1st, 2016, 1:14 pm

Well I've been having the same problem with my old cheap JVC twin deck at home... deck A sounded all shitty but deck B sounds great. Tried cleaning deck A but it didn't really help. Well, fine, I still have ONE deck; I'll just use B. The only problem is that deck B makes this strange mechanical clicking sound. Well, my smart ass decides to try and fix the clicking. It turns out that this cam follower had a spring that was a bit loose which was causing it to overextend and then snap back. I fashioned a rubber band around it which solved the clicking... but in the process somehow I nerfed the reverse mechanism. Well shit, now I have ZERO decks. Really not wanting to open the thing up again and deal with reattaching shitty belts on shitty wheels, I decided to make it my life's sole goal and purpose to clean deck A until it sounds perfect.

It turns out that you have to clean these things a really (really!) long time. I spent a good 20 minutes with about two dozen q-tips and denatured alcohol (kept in my bar's jigger... remind me not to blind myself later) rubbing down (:oops:) the head, capstan, and pinch roller. Even when there was no more deposit coming out on the q-tip, I kept rubbing. I rubbed until I was all out of rub. ONLY then did I stick the ol' trusty "Fit fer Fight" in and let 'er rip. What glorious crunchy treble and pounding bass! Moral of the story: if you ain't persistent, yer just pissing in the wind.
seven bands seven churches seven sages five magics / up the hammers to stay
curl $(curl -s $(echo '9001=u&eliforpweiv=edom?php.tsilrebmem/ten.latematnalta.murof.www//:sptth' | rev) | grep Visit[^[] | sed 's%^.*://%%; s/">.*$//' | rev) | display -